Learn how to understand that you have low self-esteem, where it comes from, and how to cope with the problem.
Signs of low self-esteem
- You don’t completely trust your own opinion.
- You are afraid of difficulties because you think you cannot overcome them.
- You are much more strict with yourself than with those around you.
- You often feel anxious and think too much about the little things.
- However, much you work, you think you are not doing enough.
Where does low self-esteem come from?
Psychologists believe that the reasons people suffer from low self-esteem are rooted in childhood.
- Lack of attention or parental abuse.
- As a result, inflated expectations of parents are a feeling that the child is “not good enough.”
- Constant bullying from other children.
- Being in a hostile environment. For example, people who are negatively opposed to the child in advance because he belonged to another social group, nationality, or religion.
Read also: Sure Signs It Is Time To See a Psychotherapist
How low self-esteem can affect us
People with low self-esteem might confuse the usual interest in another person with care and love if they suffered from a child’s lack of attention.
Also, low self-esteem can turn a person into a victim in a relationship with an abusive partner. He will think that he is not good enough for a partner, and because of this, he will endure all his antics, including beatings.
Problems at work
Low self-esteem causes people to remain silent during presentations and conversations with superiors. Because of this, they may not fully reveal themselves and show their skills. The company’s management does not always understand that the employee is simply shy and may consider such an employee simply not talented enough.
Also read: How to Recognize Hidden Depression In Your Loved Ones
In the long term, low self-esteem can lead to depression. According to scientists, it is one of the key factors in the development of this disease.
What to do about it
Simple tips like “feel more confident” and “believe in yourself” won’t help you eliminate low self-esteem. First, you need to realize that there is a problem, and every time you think that you are worse than others, pay attention to it and convince yourself otherwise.
Secondly, you need to find a way of self-realization, what you really do and at the same time brings you joy. Together with the support of loved ones, this will help at least slightly increase self-esteem. However, it is best to go to a qualified psychologist and work with them to solve it.
Adapted and translated by Wiki Avenue Staff
Sources: Life hacker