Let us find out why pumpkin is useful, what can be made from it and who should not use it.
The superfast of autumn is incredibly tasty and can save you from dangerous ailments. Plain pumpkin will help resist the flu and rejuvenate your skin. In this article, we will also learn how to cook a pumpkin, what else is useful, and most importantly – who shouldn’t eat it?
What can be cooked from pumpkin
It isn’t easy to imagine a Ukrainian garden without pumpkin and an autumn diet without pumpkin porridge with millet. There are dozens of recipes for the national cuisine. The pumpkin is prepared with onions and garlic, seasoning to taste. Even restaurants include desserts or cream soups on the menu. There are muffins, pies, sesame sweets, and stewed apples, and so much more.
Read also: Benefits, Harms, And Secrets of Mandarins
Why pumpkin is good for health
“Pumpkin is rich in carotenoids. These substances protect us from the harmful effects of polluted air, nitrates, and pesticides that we consume with other foods. The orange vegetable contains vitamins A, E, P; a large number of minerals – magnesium, selenium, zinc, chromium. The fiber in the pumpkin will gently cleanse the intestines, “says nutritionist Lyudmila Goncharova.
Calorie content of pumpkin
The calorie content of raw pumpkin is only 26 kcal per 100g.
- Pumpkin juice – 34 kcal
- Boiled pumpkin – 37 kcal
- Baked pumpkin – 46 kcal
- Fried pumpkin – 76 kcal
- Pumpkin puree – 88 kcal
- Stewed pumpkin – 189 kcal
- Pumpkin seeds – 556 kcal
- Pumpkin seed oil – 896 kcal
Who shouldn’t eat pumpkin
Experts recommend consuming no more than 300g of the finished product once every three days. It is essential not to forget that pumpkin is predominantly sweet, therefore, for some, it is contraindicated. In order not to harm yourself, if you have any doubts, you should consult a doctor.
American pumpkin pie recipe
- 3 hours
- Flour – 6 tablespoons
- Butter – 100 g
- Egg – 1 pc.
- Salt – a pinch
- Water or milk – 1-2 tablespoons
- Honey – 2-3 tbsp.
- Pumpkin – 500 g
- Butter – 50 g
- Eggs – 3 pcs.
- Cinnamon – a pinch
- Lemon zest – 1 tsp
- Vanillin – on the tip of a knife
- Sift flour together with salt. Add butter, cut into small pieces, rub flour and butter into crumbs with your hands, add an egg and knead into a smooth dough. Add some ice water or milk if necessary.
- Wrap the dough in foil and refrigerate for half an hour. Place the dough in a 24 cm diameter baking dish, forming the sides. Chop with a fork and place in a preheated oven up to 180 C for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the filling. Cut the pumpkin into large slices, wrap in foil and bake in the oven at 220-230 C for about 30-35 minutes. Unfold the foil and use a teaspoon and fork to remove the pumpkin pulp from the crust. Grind with a blender.
- Add honey, butter, spices, and beat lightly with a blender; add eggs one at a time, whisking with a blender.
- Pour the filling into the dough pan. Put the pie in the oven, preheated to 180 C, and bake for 40-45 minutes. Let it cool before serving.
Adapted and translated by Wiki Avenue Staff
Sources: Today Lifestyle