What product is called “liquid gold”? That’s right, olive oil! It is perhaps the most important component of such a popular Mediterranean diet. By the way, many consider it the standard of healthy eating. Health magazines are singing about the benefits of this product. It is said that olive oil is much healthier than other vegetable oils. And it is not surprising that after such conversations, many are ready to pay for it much more than it costs, for example, sunflower oil. Let’s learn more.
Is it worth overpaying
Olive oil is a source of antioxidants, phosphatides, which are so important for brain tissue, vitamins E and K. It also contains polyunsaturated acids, but omega-6 fatty acids mainly represent them. But the content of the most beneficial omega-3 fatty acids in olive oil tends to zero. In the same linseed oil, this good is much more.
And in terms of the content of vitamins, olive oil cannot be called a standard. The most common Russian-made sunflower oil contains 1.5 times more vitamin E. Otherwise, they are roughly comparable. What does it mean? Only the fact that olive oil, first of all, needs to be perceived as a gastronomic product that gives a unique taste to dishes.
How to choose
If you nevertheless decide that olive oil should be a must in your kitchen, you need to know how not to make the wrong choice.
- The bottle should be dark glass. Remember, we store olive oil in a dark place at a temperature of 18 to 25° C. Otherwise, it will be deprived of protection from light, and this will accelerate the processes of spoilage of the product. We do not pay any attention to oil in plastic bottles. During storage, chemical compounds from plastic packaging can pass into the oil, making it unsafe.
- Shelf life. If the packaging indicates a shelf life of more than 18 months, this product should not be taken. At the end of the samples’ shelf life with an extended shelf life (24 months), the useful components will likely become less than they were original.
- The best, but also the most expensive oil – products labeled PDO or DOP.
- We are making sure that the implementation period does not exceed the second half.
Types of olive oil
Olive oil is divided into types depending on the level of acidity. It shows the oleic acid content of 100 g of the product. The lower the acidity level, the higher the quality of the oil.
- Extra Virgin – acidity less than 1%. Suitable for dressing salads and adding to other dishes.
- Virgin – acidity from 1 to 2%. Suitable for dressing salads and adding to other dishes.
- Classic – acidity from 1 to 2%, mixture of Virgin with refined. Suitable for frying.
- Lite – does not contain Virgin oil, but the same calories and fats. Suitable for frying.
All types of olive oil contain approximately 125 kcal per tablespoon.
Also read: 9 Simple Life Hacks That Will Surprise You
How to test oil for its naturalness
We open the refrigerator and put the oil there for two or three days. If white sediment appears in it, do not be alarmed. This is stearin. And it only testifies that you made the right choice. Tested – bring the oil back to its original form. At room temperature, it will acquire its original transparency.
Adapted and translated by Wiki Avenue Staff
Sources: Life hacker