Paris is considered one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. The reason is clear; the city boasts stunning architecture, delicious cuisine, incredible shopping, and first-class museums. To prevent travelers from spoiling their trip, HuffPost asked Parisians to name the main mistakes that tourists often make in this romantic city.
- A busy schedule. If you’re short on time, it’s best to focus on multiple locations. Tour guide Richard Nayem, the founder of Eye Prefer Paris Tours, recommends adding a maximum of two to three activities to your daily schedule.
- Greetings from the Parisians. In France, it is customary to greet everyone. If you ignore someone else’s Bonjour, it will be regarded as rude on your part.
- Eat slowly. On average, locals spend 60-75 minutes for lunch and dinner.
- Check your work schedule. Before going anywhere in Paris, you need to check the opening hours carefully. Many establishments do not work around the clock.
- Be careful – pickpockets! There are many pickpockets in Paris. Most often, they work near popular tourist attractions – near the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre.
- One ticket for all museums. Such a purchase is advisable if you plan to visit at least two museums a day. Otherwise, it is a waste of money.
- Buying bread, wine, and cheese in supermarkets. Do not do that. Every Parisian has his own favorite bakery, where he can get a traditional baguette or croissant.
- Don’t stay in the center. The Eiffel Tower neighborhood is one of Paris’s most touristic areas, where you rarely meet locals or find authentic French culture.
- Don’t take baguettes and croissants home. They will turn into crackers. If you really feel like bringing home some delicious French bread, choose au levain, a sourdough bread.
- Tipping. You can leave a small reward for the waiter – 3-5% of your bill. However, you don’t have to.
Adapted and translated by Wiki Avenue Staff
Sources: Today Lifestyle