If the oven walls are covered with grease, which burns and stinks every time you turn it on, and a brown coating has formed on the door, do not panic. We will help you quickly and easily return the original cleanliness to the oven.
Modern ovens, especially electric ones, are often equipped with self-cleaning systems. But the functions of pyrolysis and catalysis greatly increase the cost of the unit. Most users prefer conventional, hydrolytic cleaning ovens.
Read also: 20 Ways To Use Table Salt At Home
When they put a baking sheet with water in a preheated oven and wait for the steam to melt the fat, water alone is often insufficient. If the stains are stuck in and out, you need auxiliary cleaning agents. They will be discussed below but for now a few basic rules.
Basic rules for caring for the oven
- The more you clean your oven, the easier it becomes. If you wipe the oven’s inner surface after each cooking, and once a week or a half a week and a half, you steam the oven with water and detergent, you will practically not have to do global cleanings.
- To help the dirt better give in, warm up the oven a little by turning it on at 50 ° C for 15–20 minutes.
- Just before cleaning, remove the trays, remove the side guides. If the design allows, also remove the door and glass. It is more convenient to wash all this separately.
- Do not use abrasive sponges or metal scrapers. Rubbing off the grease can damage the oven enamel. Better to work with a sponge or soft cloth.
- Never apply a cleaning agent, especially a chemical one, to the oven’s fan and heating elements.
- After cleaning, leave the oven door open for a couple of hours to dry it out and remove any foreign odors.
- Does the smell remain? Dissolve 10-15 tablets of activated charcoal in a glass of water and put in the oven for several hours. The charcoal absorbs excess aromas.
How to clean your oven with baking soda
Baking soda does an excellent job with fresh dirt and removes brown deposits from heat-resistant glass. You can use baking soda to make a paste for cleaning the oven or o it easier.
Apply baking soda to the oven walls (you can do this with a damp sponge). Sprinkle them a little with water from a spray bottle and let sit for 60 minutes. After an hour, wash the oven with a sponge and soapy water and pat dry with paper towels. Soda and vinegar are better at dealing with old dirt.
How to clean the oven with lemon
There are two methods for cleaning the oven with lemon; freshly squeezed lemon juice and powdered citric acid.
- The first method is more suitable for fresh dirt. Mix equal parts lemon juice and water. Use a sponge to scrub the walls of the oven with this solution. Let stand for 40-60 minutes, and then wipe everything off with a clean, damp cloth.
- The second method copes with abundant greasy deposits and is suitable for cleaning microwaves. Fill a baking sheet or another ovenproof dish with citric acid water. For ½ liter of water, one packet of citric acid is required. Send the baking sheet to an oven preheated to 200° C for 30-40 minutes. Then let the oven cool slightly and wash it thoroughly. Stains that won’t go away right away can be wiped off with a wedge of fresh lemon.
How to clean the oven with baking powder
Baking powder can be used not only for baking but also for cleaning baking sheets and the oven. After all, in fact, this is the same soda combined with citric acid. Simply wipe the oven walls with a wet cloth and process with baking powder diluted in water.
Also read: 5 Culinary Baking Soda Hacks
For a baking powder package, you need about 2-3 tablespoons of water to get the consistency of thick semolina. Leave the product in the oven for 2-3 hours. The greasy residue will clump and be easy to remove.
How to clean the oven with ammonia
Many homemakers consider this method to be the most effective. Ammonia is really excellent at eating away grease and burns that appear over time in the oven.
The oven can be cleaned with ammonia in two ways.
- Cold method. Apply ammonia to the oven surface with a sponge or spray with a spray bottle. Leave it on overnight and wash the oven with detergent in the morning.
- Hot method. Preheat the oven to 60° C. Turn off. Place a glass of ammonia on the top shelf. On the bottom – a bowl of boiling water. Close the door and let the oven sit for eight hours. This cleaning method is convenient to use at night or during the day with open windows and a minimum of household members in the apartment. After the required time has elapsed, add detergent to the ammonia in the oven, and wash all surfaces with this solution.
Adapted and translated by Wiki Avenue Staff
Sources: Life hacker