Dirt, scale, mold, an unpleasant smell are true friends of any washing machine, and a terrible dream of its owner. But there are ways to easily and quickly cope with even the most persistent problems. A washing machine is not the easiest thing to clean. Simply wiping the surfaces with a damp cloth is often not enough. Here are some tips to help you.
How to clean the powder tray
- Remove the compartment’s structure and clean the surfaces with soap, hot water, and an old toothbrush.
- Chlorine toilet cleaners can also help deal with plaque and mold. If there is stubborn dirt, fill the tray with it, leave it for 1–2 hours, and then start cleaning.
How to clean a washing machine under a rubber band
- Mix the bleach with warm water in a 1:1 ratio, dampen a rag in the solution, pull back the rubber pad, and go over all the interior surfaces.
- If there are heavy dirt and mold, leave a towel soaked in the solution under the pad for half an hour. Then remove the cloth and remove the dirt with a sponge or toothbrush.
How to clean a drum
- Pour 100 ml of chlorine bleach into the machine drum and start washing at a temperature not lower than 60° C.
- You can use citric acid for descaling. Pour 100 g into the drum and start the wash at the maximum temperature. Ideal if the mode will include double rinsing. Then the plaque will be removed by 100%.
- Mix a small amount of water and baking soda in a 1:1 ratio and pour the solution into the detergent drawer. Pour some vinegar into the drum itself: no more than 400 ml. Set the maximum temperature and let the machine do most of the work for you. Then remove the remaining dirt with a sponge and wipe the drum dry. Plaque, mold, and unpleasant odors will disappear without a trace.
How to descale heating elements
- Citric acid will again help to get rid of scale on the electric heater. The amount of powder depends on the degree of soiling, but on average, a machine with a 5 kg load requires 250 g. Pour 200 g into the powder compartment and 50 into the drum and start washing at the maximum temperature.
- The more aggressive acetic acid can also remove scale. It is enough to add 50 ml of vinegar to the conditioner container and turn on the machine. Be careful; the vinegar can damage the rubber elements.
How to clean the drain pump filter
The filter is usually located at the bottom of the front of the machine behind a plastic cover. Lay a dry towel on the floor, place a container under the lid; when you remove the filter, residual water may flow out of the machine. Now boldly open the lid and take out the plug.
Manually remove any debris that has collected inside. If necessary, treat the surface with detergent and wipe dry.
How to clean the drain hose
When cleaning the drum with soda and vinegar, the drain hose is also cleaned. But if there is a serious blockage, you have to take additional measures.
Disconnect the washing machine from the mains and turn off the water supply. Disconnect the hose from the machine (water may spill out during the process, so do not forget to substitute the container). Now you can start cleaning. For it, use a Kevlar cable with a non-metallic (!) Brush at the end. First, clean the hose on one side, then on the other, and finally rinse it under running hot water.
How to clean a top-loading washing machine
Cleaning is carried out at the highest temperature. First, pour 2-3 cups of vinegar into the water and let the machine stir the solution for a couple of minutes. Then add half a cup of baking soda. Allow the components to react, then switch off the appliance and leave it to soak. This will take from 30 minutes to an hour.
Also read: How To Get Rid Of Refrigerator Odors
While the insides of the machine are being cleaned, take care of the rest of its parts. Mix vinegar and water in a 1:1 ratio, wipe the device’s surface with the solution and clean the powder compartment. When the machine is wet, resume washing. Wait until all the water is drained and remove the remaining dirt with a sponge.
Washing machine care recommendations
To keep your car clean as long as possible, try to follow these tips.
- Don’t use too much powder. Surplus detergent can accumulate inside the machine.
- Clean heavily-soiled clothing before washing.
- Use special descaling agents.
- Leave the door open after washing. This will reduce the risk of fungus formation.
- Run an empty clipper at a maximum temperature from time to time. Hot water itself does a good job of removing light pollution.
Adapted and translated by Wiki Avenue Staff
Sources: Life hacker